Sunday, September 23, 2012

ROOKIE YEARBOOK ONE READING WITH TAVI GEVINSON: OAK PARK, IL

Three days ago I had the privilege of meeting the queen of Rookie Mag, Tavi Gevinson.

To think I almost didn't go I can not believe, and I am so glad my friend Anna pushed me to. With a good dose of the ever convincing "YOLO" , Anna and I trekked it via the Blue Line to the cute suburb of Oak Park. A 30 minute scenic walk through Oak Park from the train and we arrived at the Frank Lloyd Wright Unity Temple; I a little nervous but mostly excited to finally be in the presence of the great Tavi.

We purchased our copies of Rookie Yearbook One and were lead into the congregation, the perfect setting for the reading: intimate, beautiful, and distinctly Frank Lloyd Wright. For two hours we sat and listened to Tavi, Krisa Burton, Jessica Hopper, and Stephanie Kuehnert as they each read an expert they had written from the book. It was incredible to have the words I had read from my computer screen come to life, to see these ladies in the flesh. Real life human beings! Tavi also took some time to answer questions from the audience, which was like an extra reading from a secret journal of Tavi's thoughts and opinions.

Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL

After the reading and Q&A, all the attendees gathered in another room for a book signing/reception. There was no press, no set of big and bulky bodyguards to protect her (although her parents did attend), and no agent monitoring our one-on-ones with Tavi. Totally causal, completely relaxed. Tavi even wore jeans! (Admit it, you're just as shocked.) 

Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL
Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL
Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL
Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL

I won't go into the details of my meeting Tavi, except for the fact that she liked my jacket because it reminded her of Lindsay's in Freaks and Geeks. (I promise Tavi I will watch it and was not just saying that I would. It will just have to be until Winter Break!)

Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL

She was beyond insert praise word of choice here, and I left happy, but also sad that life had not made it so we could be friends. I don't mean to sound creepy or obsessive fangirl-like, but I honestly feel that if we'd lived in the same hometown and attended the same school that we'd be friends. I guess it's why I read Rookie: it's the closest thing I have to being in Tavi's inner circle.

Rookie Yearbook One Reading with Tavi Gevinson: Oak Park, IL

Thanks Tavi and congrats on such a stunning book!


5 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad you got to meet her! I know how much it meant to you! That's exactly how I felt being in the presence of SL. It was incredible but sad when it was over. Some people are just too cool and it's weird how much influence they have over people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      It really is weird and cool and crazy how much one person can affect so many people. I'm glad Tavi has become a role model for teenage girls because I think she is one of the best ones out there.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Congrats to you as well Hazel on an incredible book! It's beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great opportunity! You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...